New Year’s resolutions are a perfect opportunity for those who have failed to start making changes as they said they would make next week or next month. But did you know that most people give up on their commitment to themselves before January even ends? Here’s how to identify the right resolution to improve your life, create a plan on how to reach it, and become part of the small group of people that successfully achieve their goal.
Pick The Right Resolution
Before making any commitments, you have to make sure that what you want is actually right and achievable for you. It’s a good idea to make a realistic plan and make sure that it’s as specific and detailed as possible. A lot of New Year’s resolutions fail and these are the main reasons why:
– The resolution is based not on what you want but on what others want from you
– The resolution is too vague
– There’s no realistic plant on how to actually achieve your resolution.
To make sure that you are going to achieve your resolution, you should ensure that your resolution is:
– Specific. It should be absolutely clear and detailed. For example, instead of saying “I want to lose weight” be more specific and say “I want to lose 10 pounds in the next 4 months”.
– Achievable. Don’t try to take a step too big too fast but instead set realistic goals.
– Relevant. Does this goal really matter to you and are you doing it for the right reasons?
– Time-bound. Give yourself realistic deadlines and focus on small wins so you can make gradual progress
Don’t Give Up When Things Get Difficult
No matter what your resolution is, you will have to face some problems. Trying to change a habit can be extremely difficult. When things get tough, focus on small wins and stay positive. It’s a good idea to focus on the things you have done already instead of thinking about how far you still have to go. This way, you will be able to track your progress and stay more motivated. Don’t forget that everyone slips up. Leave room for slipping up when making a plan on how to achieve your goals. It happens to the best of us and there is no need to give up completely over a small failure.
Find a Community
Another great way to stick to your New Year’s goal is to find a community. You don’t need to do it alone. You don’t necessarily need to find a big group you can join but it’s a good idea to talk about your commitment to a person or two. Once you make your plans public, you are likely to be more accountable for keeping them. You may want to find an online support group of people who are reaching for the same goal. It’s a good idea to cut back on bad influencers. For example, if you’re trying to quit smoking, you probably shouldn’t surround yourself with heavy smokers as it makes it much harder to achieve your goal.
Make 2019 your year and achieve your goals!