The Mediterranean diet is a delicious and healthy way of life. Often we think dieting(expand/change/omit this sentence to make it clearer, OR When we hear the word diet, we often think of counting calories, or bland, limited, and uninteresting food but that doesn’t apply here. This type of diet is a way of eating that’s based on the traditional cuisines of Greece, Italy, Spain and other countries that border the Mediterranean Sea. Plant-based foods, such as whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices, are the foundation of the diet. This diet isn’t hard to follow, as you will definitely enjoy the flavours and variety of food that you can eat. Mediterranean meals are fresh and simple! You won’t feel deprived and you don’t have to spend hours preparing them. So, you may end up making this a lifestyle.
How could it be scrumptious and healthy? The Harvard website says the following: “Research supports the use of the Mediterranean diet as a healthy eating pattern for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, increasing lifespan, and healthy aging. When used in conjunction with caloric restriction, the diet may also support healthy weight loss.” Health benefits include the following:
- Less risk of type 2 diabetes. The diet is rich in fibre which promotes healthy blood sugar levels.
- Prevents heart disease and strokes. This is because the diet limits consumption of processed foods and red meat.
- Reduces the risk of alzheimers. The diet may improve cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and overall blood vessel health which will decrease the risk of alzheimers.
- You may live longer. You reduce risk of cancer and heart disease, reducing your risk of death at any age by 20%!
- It can keep you physically fit. A Mediterranean diet may reduce the risk of developing muscle weakness by about 70%, because of the nutrients in it.
These are just some of the amazing positives of following this tasty diet.
Here are some succulent dishes you could prepare and easily find recipes for online:
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Pancetta-wrapped Fish with Lemony Potatoes
- Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
- Bacon and Brie Omelette
- Herbed Lamb Cutlets with Vegetables
- Baked Chicken and Ricotta Meatballs
- Crispy Fried Calamari and Aïoli
- Courgettes and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Broad Bean and Feta Cheese Toasts
- Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake
These mouth-watering recipes are all quick and easy to make. There are so many options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even dessert, included in this diet or lifestyle. Why not convert now, and improve your health…? This diet will change your perspective on healthy-eating with its delectable range of dishes, full of colour, flavour and goodness. Eating healthier could soon become irresistible, and the results, life-changing. Go on… you know you want to…!!!